Many of today’s spinal problems and repetitive strain injuries are related to our increasingly sedentary lifestyle. Take office work for examples who often spend hours upon hours each day hunched over of a computer screen. Workplace ergonomics looks at the relationship between you as an individual and your working environment.
At Richmond Physiotherapy we offer display screen equipment assessments (DSE) to evaluate your set-up to identify any problems or risk factors at your place of work, whether this be at your office or at home. We can then provide you with practical solutions for change. These can be very simple such as altering the height of your screen or chair (or both), redesigning the layout of your workstation, or changing certain parts of your equipment (keyboard, mouse etc.).
The Health & Safety (DSE) regulations 1992 (amended 2002) set out simple ways of helping the employer and employee achieve a comfortable environment to work in. This has been shown to increase employee wellbeing, ultimately reducing absence and improving productivity within the workplace.
Here are some simple Questions to ask yourself:
- Do you know what the best desk work posture is?
- Chairs – do you know how to adjust it? Does it fit you and workspace around you? Does it fit under your desk? Do your feet touch the floor when you sit up straight? you chair to improve your work posture?
- Desk – is it at the correct height, Is it adjustable?
- Display screen – is it at eye level? Do you use more than one screen and if so how are they set up relative to you sitting position?
- How many hours do you sit working in one position?
- Can you touch type or is it a case of single digits? This influences neck movement as well as provoking symptoms in the fingers and hands.
- Can you see the screen clearly?
- Is the room you work in well lit?
The answer to these important questions will all be covered in your assessment which typically takes one hour. This will then be followed up with a report recommending the changes discussed as well as a list of suppliers who can provide you with the correct equipment to suit your needs.