Richmond Physiotherapy is recognised as an official DJO fitting Centre for the West London area. The DJO brand is world renowned and they are the market leaders when it comes to providing a wide range of braces and supports for all joints and sports.
Braces can be used during treatment as well as preventing further injuries to ligaments and joints that have been injured in the past. Their goal it to provide external support to help maximise the stability of a joint whilst not affecting its range of movement or your ability to continue competing at the highest level.
Braces come in all shapes and sizes and vary in the degree of support they provide based on the material used. They can be purchased over the counter of custom fitted.
Conditions Braces are Commonly Used for:
- Wrist sprains
- Chronic ankle sprains
- Sprains of the knee ligaments (ACL, MCL, LCL, PCL), both pre- and post-operatively
- Fractures of the leg or foot
Pros of Bracing in Sport:
- Relieve pain by reducing stress on injured structures
- Limit movement of a joint to allow for healing
- Provide additional stability to a joint to help protect ligaments that have been re-constructed (e.g. anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction)
- Relatively easy to put on/ take off (full instructions given)
- Can provide extra stability for return to sport, reducing the risk of re-injury (such as with chronic ankle instability or in ACL deficient knees)
All of our physiotherapists will be able to advise you if they think a brace or support may be beneficial to help with your treatment and rehabilitation. They will also be able to recommend the best brace to help in the prevention of injury during sporting activities e.g. tennis, skiing etc.
For further information or, If you would like to purchase any of these braces (link here to DJO website), please call the clinic on 0208 332 1132 or book in with one of specialist brace fitting physiotherapists. We also have a few in stock that we can show you prior to purchase.