Almost everyone has had a headache once in their life. There are many reasons for headaches and that’s why a full case history is required to identify underlying causes prior to any treatment.
- After puberty, migraines are much more common in women than in men (3:1) and are related to an imbalance in the hormone levels. Research shows that almost 60% of migraines in women are associated with the menstrual cycle. Chronic daily headaches are slightly more common in women and Tension Type Headaches are even between women and men.
- A recent study shows that painkillers are causing more headaches when used on a long-term basis.
Acupuncture is proven to be a safe and a very effective therapy in treating numerous types of headaches and is also used to prevent recurrent headaches in case of chronic conditions. Although still considered complementary therapy, acupuncture is increasingly viewed as a mainstream treatment for certain conditions, such as chronic pain. NICE guidelines (CG150) recommend acupuncture for Tension Type headaches and the World Health Organisation endorses acupuncture for migraine headaches.
How does Acupuncture help?
Regardless of the type of the headache or the signs and symptoms you present with, the aim is to normalise the activity in the brain through regulating hormones and neurotransmitters.
- Within the brain the pituitary gland produces endorphins, chemicals that primarily act as the body’s natural painkillers. They also are known to elevate our mood, therefore the name of ‘feel-good’ hormone. Happy and energetic people are known to have high levels of endorphins.
- Another chemical involved in our moods is serotonin, which is a neurotransmitter related to the brain and the nervous system. The latter is one the most significant factor determining whether we are depressed, feeling good or whether we are anxious.
- Acupuncture research shows that the insertion of an acupuncture needle in certain points on the body triggers the release of endorphins. Acupuncture can have the same pain modulation effect as endorphins would, therefore people very often experience an immediate effect.
That’s why some people feel very energised, as though they have been doing one hour of cardio exercise!
10% off your initial treatment if taken before 31 January 2022 (self-funding patients only). Please quote ‘Headaches10’ when booking.